I can't lie. I'm ridiculously excited. We celebrate our second year together in one week. I can't believe how quickly time has passed.
Last year, you were incredible. You surprised me by taking me to the zoo to get inside a cage with kangaroos and throw peanuts in their general direction {because they wanted nothing to do with us}.
Then you drove me to North Carolina {my dream state} to visit a small aquarium, because you know I love marine animals. Especially jellyfish.
And then we moved to sit on the beach and have a romantic picnic. I'll never forget how beautiful everything was. Half of the sky was gorgeous hues of blue, purple, and pink, and the other half had a storm brewing. But it was the most incredible storm I'd ever witnessed.
Before the clouds rolled in too far, you turned me around, held my hands, and made sure I knew what you were about to say wasn't a proposal. {We both wanted to, but the timing hasn't been right so far, and that's okay, because it's all God's time.}
You are so good with your words. You just delivered this eloquent speech, just like you did when you asked me to be your girlfriend, and just like you did over two years ago when you told me you were in love with me. I was practically in the clouds, so unfortunately, I can't recite word for word what you said. But it was so romantic and beautiful.
Then, you pulled out this gorgeous promise ring and right there, we promised to each other that we would be together forever - that we're soulmates. It's funny to think back on this moment, where a wedding party had been further down along the beach. A couple asked us if we had just gotten engaged. It sure felt like it. You have this way of making everything you do being the most charismatic, incredible experience of my life.
On the way home, I shut my eyes for a bit because I was tired, but soon I realized you were slowing the car down. I figured you needed gas, but we were turning into a large parking lot. It was extremely dark outside and it was spitting rain, but you parked under one of the street lights and played our song.
You came over, let me out of the car, and we danced to "Inevitable".
The song that we had our first dance to. That first dance had been at your brother's wedding. I'd been trying to get your attention all night, so you would dance with me, but you were busy being the best man, and my stomach did somersaults whenever you'd come nearby, so I'd get shy.
At one point, I noticed you standing at the DJ table, picking out a song. "Inevitable" came on, and you made a straight line for me, with your hand held out. We walked to the dance floor {my heart was pounding and my friends and sisters were going crazy}, where we swayed and talked.
I did not want that dance to end. But it did, and you had to leave, as your best friend gave you a cheeky smile and teased you to stay for another dance. He knew we were totally infatuated with each other. And boy, was I walking on sunshine for the rest of the night. I didn't even know what to do with myself. My sister had to beg my parents to stay that long at the wedding, because she knew we needed to have our little moment.
And I'm so glad we did.
Because fast forward a little over one year, as we were dancing in the parking lot, and I looked into your eyes without that shyness {good thing that's gone}, my heart just swelled.
{Want to know irony? As I've been writing part of this, "Marry Me" came on Pandora. Perfect.}
So look at where we are now. Two years into our relationship, and I am so happy. I know I don't show it all the time, because life gets in the way, and I'll have my complaints about it.
But I have no complaints about you. Because I'll think of you and that perfect love that we have... and everything is right again.
I can't wait for a week from now, because it's just going to be you and me, and we'll forget all the problems of the world. I don't know when we'll get married, but whether that's a year, five years, or a decade from now - I'm happy just knowing that I get to spend eternity with you either way.
One week. Seven days. What we're doing is a mystery to me as of yet, because you like to keep surprises. And I know it'll be perfect, no matter what we do, or where we go, because I'll be with you.
And gosh, am I so overjoyed that I'm with you. I love you so much, sweetheart. Happy 1 year and 51 weeks.
yours,
m.g.e
No comments:
Post a Comment