Having observed multiple successful and unsuccessful relationships, I discovered early on in life that if I wanted my own true, serious relationship, I had to have the future in mind.
It was absolutely necessary to consider the outcome of a (romantic) relationship I wanted to pursue. If I couldn't see myself marrying a guy, I wouldn't pursue him.
However.
The problem that I faced was the fact that I had no clue what my own future would look like. So how on earth would it be possible to try to sketch out the details?
I quickly learned to wait. Be patient and let time and God eventually reveal my future to me. That was always the worst step, because patience has never been one of my strengths.
Even more difficult: before I could expect to find love, I had to learn how to understand myself. Finding love, without figuring one's own life out first, can lead to problems.
For me, I had to learn how to accept that I am not defined by my relationship status (but would ideally find a person to make who I am a better "me"); accept that love isn't a Disney movie; accept that I don't have to be in a relationship to be happy (but that ideal person would make me even happier); and accept myself.
In light of St. Valentine's Day, I have seen too many girls (and boys) worry about their relationship status. But everyone forgets that it doesn't have to be about just a significant other. It can be about loving on family, friends, and ourselves.
When I learned to accept this, I stopped searching so desperately. You, sweet soulmate, came along, and everything slowed down. It was beautiful - I was at peace. Then it was all a matter of patience. I focused on merely being happy with who I was, while a tender feeling (called love) softened my heart.
I realized I couldn't let go of you, my dear. I started out happy, and ended up happy... to be in love with you. Finding my soulmate was completely worth the wait. I can see my future clearly now, and I know it's because I'm meant to be with you, and you with me, for the rest of our lives.
Happy Valentine's Day, my love.
yours,
m.g.e.
No comments:
Post a Comment